Thursday, August 03, 2006

The Legend of Writer's Block

I've always considered Writer's Block to be like The Bermuda Triangle. Everybody denies its existence, yet I find myself lost there all time.

I've read many times that Writer's Block is all in your mind. I think it was Nora Roberts who said there was no such thing. So with that in mind, I sit down to write while refusing to let myself get deterred by such nonsense.

But it's crap. Complete and utter crap. If I'm bored with what I'm writing, I know other people aren't going to buy it.

I've always suspected that I have ADHD tendencies. I have thought of getting checked out and, besides being distracted by other things, I'm afraid that ADHD is what makes me who I am and if I get medicated or something, I won't be the same funny person I am now. *g*

What if that is my power? Then suddenly I think I'm the same person, but other people are thinking, "Well, it looks like Melanie, but she's soooo boring." Kind of like when Fun Bob quit drinking on Friends.

Anyway, I digress (another ADHD habit), how do I get past this block or whatever it's called? What if I'm on deadline and this hits me? That would not be good.

Even writing this right now, I'm thinking, "Are you really going to post something this damn boring?" Well, I am, because I swore I was going to blog here. Just didn't say it would be entertaining.

Until next time...

Posted by Melanie Anderson @ 5:14 PM

Listening

Right now? The sound of my fingers on the keyboard.

Reading

Probably something I'm attempting to write. Or something by Susan Elizabeth Phillips since I'm doing a big reread of her right now.

Viewing

My computer screen